Saturday, August 14, 2010

Saturday Market

Last night Jack felt better so we took Alberto's advice and went to a lovely Italian Restaurant in the Hostel Posada de Angel. I keep forgetting to get the web addresses for the places we visit, but you can find it if you want. We had a WONDERFUL dinner, as usual we were the first to arrive, being Gringos who like to eat by 7 pm but the small placed filled by the time we left at 8:30. Yes, we seem to have learned to lingered over a freshly prepared dinner and bottle of wine. Sorry no pictures to wet your appetite, you will just have to trust me it was the best lasagna and ravioli we have ever had and there will be the opportunity for a picture later as we will no doubt return.

Today was market day. I was told that Saturday was a big market so off by my self I went to check out the meat and produce available. I went to the 10 de Augusto market which is about 7-8 blocks from our hotel. I walk past the new cathedral and the flower market I have shared earlier. The streets are busy on Saturday with families out shopping as school starts soon and it is market day.

The market is in a two story building. The ground floor on one side are vendors with fruits of all kinds. I do not know how one chooses which vendor to buy from! I was a little shy about taking pictures of folks so I took a picture from the second and it is a little dark.
The meat is on another side. Whole chickens, beef legs, hunks of beef from who know what part of the beef. I am sure we will go again as Jack has to see this place.


I was also told that today was fresh fish day. The right side of the picture is some of the fish vendors.

The second floor also has vendor who sell mostly vegetables and grains. There are also many who sell prepared foods, like a big food court. Not brave enough to try any of the prepared foods!

Walked back toward the hotel and stopped at an outdoor market to do a little souvenir shopping and just take in the sights. It was sprinkling but hardly enough to put my hood up.

Got back to hotel and shared my adventures with Jack. As the sprinkles had stopped and he was feeling better we headed out for lunch at a place I had spotted called Cuatro Rios. It turned out to be a 4 star place with wonderful food and service. Two hours later we headed back home and got here just in time as the first real rain since we arrived began. The center courtyard of our hotel and most all the places in Cuenca have a glass roof over them but that water still runs toward the courtyard and is caught in rain gutters!

As I have said, one thing that has impressed us is the friendliness of the people on the street. As we were leaving the restaurant an older gentleman stopped and wanted to chat, asked where we were from and wished us good luck . . all in Spanish of course. Pray all of you back home are well. Thanks for staying up with our adventure through this blog. Hasta Luego!

1 comment:

  1. Even after hearing about most of this in our Skype conversation last night, it's still fun to read and see the pics. We're loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete