Sunday, January 30, 2011

Summertime and The Living is Easy

The weather has been so great I have finally shed my wool socks and am running around in my sandals only.  Well actually more than sandals, but on my feet anyway!  In my efforts to conserve space and weight when we moved I only packed two pair of SAS sandals, wool socks, and my hiking boots.  My dad used to kid me about my Oregon Socks (Smart Wool) and California Shoes (sandals).  Not sure what the Ecuadorians think of my footware choice but it works for me!  Our front yard seems to know it is summer and the park across the street if full of folks enjoying a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Our rose bush, one of many



Not roses but colorful


Park with unknown camera hog

Rufous Collared Sparrows enjoying breakfast
Jack teases me that I am becoming the bird lady of Cuenca.  These little sparrows have come to expect breakfast each morning and are a kick to watch.  The greedy adults chase the immatures away when they get too close.  Next I have to find a hummingbird feeder and a good sized bird bath.  


First Day Intermediate Class

I have been keeping very busy preparing to start English lessons for some of the staff at UNSION TV.  I have four classes of four to five students once a week.  With the thousands of web pages about learning and teaching English, I have been a little lost.  As a commercial on US TV before we moved talked about information overload, I am there!  Things have settled down a little now and I think I have a plan....but suggestions are always welcome!
  
For those of you thinking you might want to move to Cuenca or anywhere outside your home country, Edd Stanton, expat, writer, community activist, and great guy, wrote an article for Cuenca High Life about looking before you leap.  It is a very good article, well thought out, and worth the read.  You should be able to click on the words "good article" and get to it.  Life as an expat is truly not for everyone and we have already met folks who are heading back for various reasons.  But, if you feel the call and can live the unwritten beatitude of "Blessed are the flexible for they shall not break!" it's a great life.


The Cuenca River across the street from our house
 Thanks for following.  More to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment